§ 16.04.020. Permits required  

Latest version.
  • Before beginning work on any building or private sewer or drain, the licensed master drain layer, or his authorized employee, shall apply for a permit from the office of the superintendent of central inspection. Such permit shall be issued provided that all plumbing in the building has been inspected and approved by the central inspection division, that the applicant is a licensed master drain layer and has paid his permit fees and his work is in compliance with this Code. New connections authorized by the permit shall be started within one hundred twenty days and completed within one year of issuance. If the work is not commenced within one hundred twenty days or completed within one year from the date of issuance, the permit shall be canceled and all fees forfeited. All permits for repairs and seal offs shall be started at once and completed within two weeks from date of issuance unless an extension is granted by the superintendent of central inspection. Unless such conditions are met, the permit shall be canceled and all fees forfeited. A master drain layer allowing the use of his license for the purpose of obtaining a permit for another shall be sufficient cause for the revocation of the master drain layer's license. Permits shall not be transferable and shall be required as follows:


    (a) Connection to existing work: for connection to any existing sewer with the plumbing in any building on a lot from which any previously connected building has been removed.

    (b) Construction or reconstruction of sewer: for the construction or reconstruction of a sewer or drain extending from a wye, a tap or a manhole in the city sewer or private sewer to any building.

    (c) Separate buildings: for each separate building where two or more buildings are connected at the same time to a private sewer or drain.

    (d) Each connection: for each connection even when more than one connection is made from the same building.


    (a) Alteration or extension: for making any alteration in or extension to any private sewer or drain in connection with any building already served by a private sewer or drain and which does not involve any connection to any city sewer.

    (b) Sealing off private sewer: for sealing off a private sewer when the house or building served by it is removed from the property.

    A clean-out job for which no inspection is required shall include only those operations in which the private sewer or drain can be cleaned out by cables, rods, flushing or other means; and, in such cases, no permit shall be required; however, it is the duty of the master or journeyman drain layer or sewer cleaner to notify the office of the superintendent of sewer maintenance when any cleaning tools have been lost in the city's sewer.

    The cost of recovering such tools shall be borne by the sewer cleaner. It shall be the duty of the sewer cleaner to remove all obstruction from a building sewer or drain when cleaning such building sewer or drain rather than to dislodge the obstruction into the city's sewer where a stoppage may be caused. If an obstruction is inadvertently dislodged which may cause a stoppage, the sewer cleaner shall notify the office of the superintendent of sewer maintenance.

    When a building line must be opened for cleaning purposes, a cleanout and fittings manufactured of compatible material must be installed at the point where the opening was made.

    Excavation and pavement permits shall be obtained from the department of operations and maintenance prior to performing any excavation work on public property, said permit to be obtained in accordance with the terms of Chapter 10.20 of this Code.

    Emergency repairs and/or replacement after normal working hours may be made provided permits are obtained and inspections are made the next working day and before any portion is concealed from view.

    A separate sewer permit shall be obtained for each building or structure or for any additional work other than authorized in the original permit.

(Ord. No. 37-624 § 2; Ord. No. 36-689 § 2)